Wednesday 18 April 2007

A Testing Time





9th September 2006

I had the suspicion that something was not quite right … I’d been away with week with work for a week, so when Shawn came to pick me up at the airport and I apprehensively suggested that maybe, just perhaps, there might be a chance I was pregnant. That word can certainly invoke a lot of emotional responses … terror, fear, trepidation, happiness, excitement, wonder … all at once.

We headed off to find a pharmacy … which are normally on every street corner in the States … but today, we ended off driving for bloody miles and finally found ourselves in the seedier side of town before Shawn slammed on the brakes, leapt a fence and ran into a dodgy local Jamaican chemist store. Brandishing the little ‘stick’ he came running out … but being the dodgy side of town the only option to test it out appeared to be the local Taco Bell bathroom … not exactly the place I’d pictured in my head when I’d thought of this moment, but what the hell … its amazing how much joy two little stripes can bring about. We were both so excited and couldn’t stop smiling (or crying!). I have to say that was one of the happiest moments of our lives.

No comments: